Thursday, August 23, 2007

Is she finished?

Many of my friend have asked why I still working on Roach. Now she is launched is she not finished yet?

Well, I think, the answer I think is in the nature of the beast: A wooden yacht is never finished.

Roach really is not finished though, and I have quite a few things on my list to get done before my workload cuts back to just yearly mainetance issues. Much of the work to be done is in the interior though. There is still some cabinetry to be done, but I am very glad I did not complete this before launch, as there have been a few revelations that have made me instigate a few design changes.

For starters her bunks are narrow, and with a broad guy like myself I could do with a few extra inches of sleeping width. But a after an evening aboard a friend’s 1927 Fred Shepherd yawl, I realised that there was a clever way of making her bunks wider. Instead of Dallimore’s design of the bunk backs folding down over the berth, why not fold them up? If there is not baton at the bottom edge, I have the possibility to extend the mattress to the hull sides beyond the lifting portion of the backrest panel. This also has the advantage, that when lashed up in the “sleep” position, the panel provides a secure place to dump ones clothes.

There is also the questions of sail storage. Currently the whole forepeak is awash with kit and it really makes the boat feel stuffy and small. As you can see from the photo, it really is a delightful forepeak, and Dallimore’s open plan arrangement really works, giving this 22 footer a real sense of space – If only I could have some sort of sail bin. So I have decided that I will build a mahogany sail shelf, to starboard, behind the clothes cupboard. That way the sails will be out of sight and jammed in between the deckhead and the shelf, leaving room under for other things if required.

Other than that there is the galley is half built. The original 1950’s gas stove needs to be plumbed in by a specialist "Corgi" gas person. But having used the galley with just a camping stove up till now, so I know were everything needs to go, so the design can be pinned down. But the galley is a priority as the current temporary set-up means that there are no fiddle rails and stuff tends to fly about the cabin.

Other than that, she needs a good rub down a several coats of Epifannes satin varnish below. The white needs enamelling and the bilges painted in Danboline. Oh yes, and there is my new Douglas fir cabin sole that I am making!


Post a Comment

<< Home