Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pansies in Spring

Roach has the earliest version. A Mk1!!!!!




I write this in Spring-like weather – and you can thank me for that. It’s Sod’s Law that as soon as i have found the ideal heater for Roach, the weather warms up.

After months of deliberation and searching for a heater for the Winter, Winter passes and now it’s Spring. The idea of a heater was not put on the back-burner (excuse the pun) as I know full well that dry heat is a very welcome thing after a being soaked to the skin in a Summer squall, wanting some way to dry out below.

Not only that, now that Roach will be launched, the umbilical cord of a power lead and fan heater will go. Some sort of dry heat is essential before next Autumn when her fit-out will continue and I am sure to be spending maintenance weekends on her. I know it is a long way off, but as I have no car, I need to get the bulky things installed on Roach even though they may not present themselves as immediate priorities.

The heater I have gone for is the delightfully named Pascal-Atkey Pansy. An original in copper and brass, from the 1940’s, in very good condition for its age; perfect for a 1940’s yacht. The Pansy burns charcoal – which although messy, has some key advantages over gas and paraffin. They are safer and therefore can keep heating the cabin when the crew is asleep. They are very simple and therefore less prone to breaking down. They are totally silent and lastly, but very important for a small yacht like Roach, they have a very small 1inch diameter flue. This means there is less protrusion on the flush deck.

I think you will agree that once she is polished up the heater will fit quite at home on the bulkhead. I think I will wait till the weather gets poorer before installing it though, that way a certain Mr. Sod, will be sure to give us all another heat wave!

4 Comments:

Blogger Baddaddy said...

Dear Roach-owner:

I've put a link to your weblog up at my blog www.intheboatshed.net - hope it's ok. I'd like to get in touch too please!

Thanks,

Gav

9:32 PM  
Blogger Roach1948 said...

Hi there,

Thanks for the link. You are right, Tarana is very similar in style except that she was one of the first Dallimore's to be launched. I believe that mine could be the last - so it is nice that Dallimore started and ended with the small ones. Under the waterline Roach is significantly different from Tarana though, having a cut-away forefoot to the mast, combined with a large Bermudan rig, maked Roach quite a spritely 22 footer for her day.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Baddaddy said...

I'd like to direct people to your weblog from time to time as your project progresses - would you mind if I used the occasional photo on your weblog to highlight the links? I'd be most grateful please!

There are lots of examples of the kind of thing I mean at intheboatshed.net.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Roach1948 said...

No problem, go ahead by all means.

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home