Friday, February 25, 2011

Bridging a small gap in her history



I thought I would do a little re-cap on Roach’s History as there are a few gaps which have been kindly filled with people that have copies of Lloyds registers.

Firstly, Roach was built in 1953 at Stebbings yard. In 1964 she is registered owned by Blackwater Yacht Charters. Her first engine was a Coventry Victor 2 cyl, 6 BHP, dated 1950. This was then a Stuart Turner 1 cyl, 4 BHP, of 1962. She currently sports a BETA 13.5HP which was fitted in 2007.

She is listed as being in Lloyds of 1959,61,64 and 1966.

In 1966 her owner changed to a Mr. M D Clarke. After that we hit a blank.
There are rumours of her being owned by Mr. Debbage and others, but this has to be confirmed. There was a time that she was called Heron, but she reverted back to her original name at some stage.

The picture above shows her at the farm in the early spring of 1997 after I bought here the year before. Nothing was done that year except stripping out of the old plywood interior. You can see that she was based in Cowes at some stage from the writing on her stern. I bought her in April 1996 from Mr. Kevin Piper of Ipswich. I am not sure how long he was her owner.

If anybody has any old photos or parts of her history I am not aware of, please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home