Tuesday, January 06, 2009

New Sails for 2009!

Well it is about time for a New Year’s Post. When I look back on 2008, I have to say it was not the best season for Roach. The weather was really the main enemy, especially on a boat that needs re-varnishing each season. Although lunched in mid May, I could only get the varnish on early June, one fine weekend. Hopefully I will get better varnishing weather this year, as I would like her to be launched so that I can have a cruise at Easter.


Me sanding Roach at Ipswich Haven last June

Several things came up from last year’s experiences.

The first is that in light winds, I really don’t have any useful sails. So I have ordered a lilac cruising chute from Lonton and Gray in Burnham-on-Crouch. They do a lot of sails for the Royal Burnham One Designs (also designed by Dallimore) so I think I am in good hands. I chose Lilac as Athena , Roach's cousin ship, looks very good under a lilac spinnaker.

Saying that I also have managed to get a second-hand Genoa and a spinnaker. The spinnaker is from a friend’s Stella, but it seems to fit Roach OK. So I have to make a few modifications in order to get the spinnaker to work. This includes a new spinnaker pole, some aft quarter blocks, a topping lift and an extra spinnaker halyard. Not a small amount to consider, and certainly a lot more string on the mast.

As well as more light wind sails, it is clear that I need a smaller headsail for stormy conditions. I was caught out in a F7 last summer going to the Walton Backwaters, and it was clear that small jib was needed. So I have ordered a Spitfire Jib from Jeckells which should be ready soon. I asked for it to me made in tan material, mainly as that is harder wearing material for a sail that will be at the bottom of the sail locker much of the time, but also because I rather like the idea of calling it the “Tomato Jib” as Adlard Coles did on “Cooee”



5 Comments:

Blogger . said...

Yep like the colour, but then you know that, looks a good functional sail, think you might find more uses than originally thought!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Roach1948 said...

Yes, Indeed. I was thinking of getting a ghoster, but an assymentric, although a bit "modern" is a much more practical sail and covers more conditions. I look forward to trying it out!

9:35 AM  
Blogger . said...

& you will need a v good downhaul on your pole to make even more efficient.

ie able to be put around a winch - maybe

you might be the first Dalli with an assymentric?

Nico will not approve!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Roach1948 said...

The whole idea is that I dont need a pole at all. Should really help with single-handed passages (which is all I do!)

As for the first Dalliassymetric - well, whatever, it is only a sail!

7:06 PM  
Blogger . said...

Think its great, look'n forward to pics & whether there is weather helm, or do you like me - should reef the main when reaching, but I rearly do!

I find with the spinnaker the helm is much lighter, usually very neutral.

Hope the weather allows the new tan Spitfire to be published.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home