Thursday, January 29, 2009

Check your Mooring warps!



Well, a bit off topic, but I thought I would warn of the danger of not having a safety line on one’s mooring. This particular boat was swept up on the beach in Jervis Bay on Christmas day . A nasty Nor’Easter sprung up and this chaps nylon warp chaffed through at the buoy. She was very lucky not to hit any other boats on the way to the beach. Anyway, it is a lesson: I will be making sure I keep a safety line attached to a different part of the boat and buoy in future.

In the end the boat was very lucky and she suffered no damage even though she was pounded by the surf. It took 2 days to get the coast guard to tow her off – basically a brute force operation!

1 Comments:

Blogger . said...

I hope the owner gave coast guard some pennies as it looks like the warp was overdue for giving up!

Still sad. Duty of care & all that crap. 2 days in big storm I was scared in Brittany asked someone too go & look.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home